IPv6 Ideas

Matthew Jakeman m.jakeman at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Apr 24 18:04:41 UTC 2009

Bob Van Zant wrote:
>> What are your problems with using radvd? I have used it quite a bit on
>> FreeBSD (6.1) without any hassle. It's even written quite nicely in my
>> experience so working on patches for it should be quite do-able if
>> there are features missing.
>
> He's saying that the router announcements don't contain any DNS server
> information. There's an extension/option that can be enabled with router
> advertisements to make it send this information, similar in function to
> how DHCP sends out extra info like the default gateway, DNS server, NTP
> server, WINS servers, etc.

Yes but he was also saying that support for the existing RFC to provide
the RA option does not seem to be present in any of the tools (from what
I gathered). If the RFC is there then surely this functionality could be
added.

 From the original message I thought he was having problems getting
radvd to work at all. This could just be me misunderstanding the mail
however.

 From my perspective this is one thing that needs significant
improvement for v6. There are many RFC's/ietf drafts out there that add
some nifty functionality but support for them in the real world
applications seems to be lacking somewhat.