CARP as a module; followup thoughts

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 22 12:47:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

Will Andrews wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've written a patch (against 8.0-CURRENT as of r191369) which makes
> it possible to build, load, run, & unload CARP as a module, using the
> GENERIC kernel.  It can be obtained from:
>
> http://firepipe.net/patches/carp-as-module-20090421.diff

There's no need to implement the in*_proto_register() stuff in that
patch, you should just be able to re-use the encap_attach_func()
functions. Look at how PIM is implemented in ip_mroute.c for an example.

Other than that it looks like a good start... but would hold off on
committing as-is. the more general case of registering a MAC address on
an interface should be considered.

cheers,
BMS