Multiple default routes / Force external routing

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Apr 14 12:23:22 PDT 2009

> > I think you are rather confused about what Multiple FIBs is..
> > All it is is teh  ability to make a packet use a particular
> > FIB on it's outgoing path. There is not such thing as an interface
> > being "In" a FIB. All interfaces are still visible to the routing code
> > by default, and The IP stack still knows about them.I think the IP
> > stack set's the 'loopback' flag on a packet regardless of the FIB
> > selected if teh dest is one of its own addresses.
> >
> > What you want is VIMAGE.

I read a bit about VIMAGE (http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/). No, I
don't see the need for complete virtualization of network interfaces
etc. I *would* very much like separate routing tables. If you look at a
traditional router from Cisco, Juniper or similar, they offer separate
routing tables without virtualizing everything.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no