m_tag, malloc vs uma

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 12 07:25:17 PDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Karim Fodil-Lemelin wrote:

>> I think it would be desirable to make a change to more flexible m_tag types
>> for 8.0, but I'm not sure I have time to implement/test it.  Is this
>> something you might be interested in working on?  I'm thinking of basically
>> replacing the m_tag_free pointer with a pointer to a small vector of
>> operations, possibly something along these lines:
>>
>> struct m_tag_ops {
>>     void        (*m_tag_free)(struct m_tag *);
>>     struct m_tag    (*m_tag_copy)(struct m_tag *);
>> };
>>
>> If the m_tag_ops pointer is NULL, we go with today's default (requiring
>> minimal change of existing consumers).  I'm not sure if there are any other
>> function pointers we'd need at this point?
>
> Is the m_tag_copy an 'overloaded' function for the current m_tag_copy or
> something else? Now it could also be interesting to have another function
> pointer to overload m_tag_alloc to give more control over which zone the
> user wants its tags from (ex: pf_mtag ...). The interest is there not sure
> if the schedule will allow it but that depends if the new m_tag designs
> allows me to squeeze some performances in.

My feeling is that, for types not maintained by the m_tag framework itself,
the m_tag_ops.m_tag_copy() method should take an existing m_tag and produce a
copy of it appropriate for inserting on the list of a copied mbuf header.
That way both the allocation and copying of the m_tag are left to the
subsystem that owns it, allowing it to use its own memory type, perform deep
copying or reference counting of other structures, etc.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge