[X-POST] Anyone porting NetworkManager to FreeBSD ?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Sep 22 21:40:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 11:22 +0530, Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke writes:
> > On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 03:26 +0530, Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Is there anyone, who is porting NetworkManager[1] to FreeBSD ? If yes, I
> >> would like to be a tester or contributor to the effort.
>
> > It's been on our ideas list for a while, and I think someone mentioned
> > they were working on it a few months ago (check the archives).  I held a
> > desktop discussion at the last BSDCan, and Kris Moore of PC-BSD
> > suggested it may be easier to port their network manager
> > (http://svn.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/trunk/NetworkManager) from KDE to
> > GTK+/GNOME
>
> > In the meantime, I did a GNOME PBI for PC-BSD, and added hooks to make
> > use of some of PC-BSD's admin tools.  The result was positive.  However,
> > it would be great to have working GTK+/GNOME native tools.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> But, that looks like a static network configuration tool.

Sorry, wrong link.  There are a few network admin tools in PC-BSD
(including a task tray application).  Here is their wireless config app:
http://svn.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/trunk/wificonfi .

The advantage of using the PC-BSD code is that the FreeBSD internal
stuff is done already.  That could could be used as a model for creating
a GTK+/GNOME frontend.  On the other hand, porting NM would require
adapting it to your net80211 stack.

Joe