What's the status of parallel netisr?

Jian Qiu swordqiu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 16:04:02 UTC 2008

Hi, Kris,

> In our application-level tests FreeBSD significantly out-performs Linux, so
> either you have found a different workload, or something is not configured
> equally.  One important thing I can think of off the top of my head is that
> Linux has a larger socket buffer size by default, so try tuning that on
> FreeBSD or confirm they are equal.
>
> If that still fails, can you provide test code?
>
> Kris

I tried but larger socket buffer seem not helpful.

I also tried netperf and iperf. Both applications achieve better
throughput on Linux.

So I feel the result is not specific to my test code.

My code is very simple. Basically, a client process called sendto in a
loop while a server called recvfrom in a loop.
Besides these, some additional lines get the throughput statistics. If
necessary, I will post the code here.

BTW, I did the tests on Linux 2.26.5. Which linux kernel did you use?

Could you please provide some more information on your test.

Many thanks.

Jian