Question regarding NFS

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 00:15:03 UTC 2008

Hello,
      I am running an IPCop firewall for my entire network.  I have a
wireless network device on the blue subnet which must access a freebsd NFS
server.  In order to do this, I need to open a DMZ pinhole on a few select
ports.  It's my understanding that NFS chooses random ports and I was
wondering if there was a way I could fix this.  There is a good reason that
the subnet for the wireless is separate from the wired and I'd rather not
configure this thing over a VPN.  The client connecting to the NFS server is
a voyage computer (pretty much a small debian).  Also, if at all possible,
I'd like to keep performance reasonably high when large volumes of clients
are connecting to the NFS server, I'm not sure if binding to one port may or
may not make this impossible.  I apologize for my stupidity and lack of
understanding when it comes to NFS.  Any help would be gladly appreciated,
guys.