What's the status of parallel netisr?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Sep 18 18:58:31 UTC 2008

> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:50:10 +0800
> From: "Jian Qiu" <swordqiu at gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net at freebsd.org
>
> Thanks again for the info.
>
> As you suggested, I did test on the most recent 7.0-stable-200807 kernel.
>
> The SMP throughout on the new kernel was improved to around 90MB/s.
>
> However, SMP kernel still had no advantage over UP, at least for this
> kind of single threaded applications.
>
> I further did the same test on Linux with both SMP and UP.
>
> I did observe the same trend.
>
> The throughput on UP (~210MB/ecs) was also much better than SMP (~170MB/sec).
>
> However, I was surprised again that the local UDP throughput on Linux
> was more than double of FreeBSD.
>
> Since all these tests were performed on the same machine, it must be
> because of the kernel that made such big differences.
>
> I'm curious what is the major performance bottleneck in FreeBSD network stack??
>
> Is there any plan in community to address these issues?

Did you try locking down the CPUs used with cpuset (FreeBSD) or taskset
(Linux)? This can make a very substantial difference. Something like a
UDP canon will run far more efficiently if locked to a single CPU and
will run best if that CPU is not processing the interrupts.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)