ECMP Support

Li, Qing qing.li at bluecoat.com
Tue Sep 16 00:10:26 UTC 2008

>   My idea is use ECMP on 7.x branch to balance 100Mbit
> Lan-2-Lan links between our enterprise network and IDC network.

	I can merge those changes into 7.x. Frankly I have lost
	track of the release schedule so I do need to talk
	to the FreeBSD release team to figure out where and
	when I should integrate the code.

> In this case the route table only change when a link goes
> down, so I will remove this from routing table until this
> goes up again. This is a problem with current ECMP implementation ?

	The route selection uses a hash and because the number of route
	entries changes when you remove that route from the routing
table,
	and depending on the hash key, you may get a different route
	entry.

	In earlier 5.x releases when "inp_route" is present (route
	is sticky), tcp_output() provides that value and route
	lookup is bypassed.

	This is something we are working on for a fix in -current.

> > The "route" and "netstat" commands work with ECMP.
> > There isn't much documentation but I do intend to update the
> > manpages soon.
> > Please indicate if there is any other command that you need.
>
> I think this is enough for me.

	Okay.

	-- Qing