ECMP Support

Alexandre Biancalana biancalana at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:02:45 UTC 2008

On 9/15/08, Li, Qing <qing.li at bluecoat.com> wrote:

>         I can't tell you if the current ECMP support is good enough for
>         you without knowing what your requirements are.  We are using
>         the code in production environments (along with other pieces of
>         supporting infrastructure to perform our enhanced features).
>         I know Barrett Lyon from BitGravity has been testing the code.

Hi Qing !

  Thank you for your answer !

  My idea is use ECMP on 7.x branch to balance 100Mbit Lan-2-Lan links
between our enterprise network and IDC network.

>         I developed the code on FreeBSD 5.4 originally and I integrated
>         the changes into -current, so I can't imagine it would be that
>  hard
>         to get it working in the 7.x branch if that is what you need.
>
>         The main issue of running the ECMP code in any release later
>  than
>         the 5.4 release, is the lack of "inp_route" field that caches
>         the route. In a system where the routing table changes
>  frequently,
>         the symptom would be packets of a flow could be spread across
>         multiple paths, which could have serious impact on TCP
>  performance.

 In this case the route table only change when a link goes down, so I
will remove this from routing table until this goes up again. This is
a problem with current ECMP implementation ?

>         The "inp_route" field was removed in 5.4 release if I remembered
>         correctly. I reintroduced this field in our custom releases.
>
>         The "route" and "netstat" commands work with ECMP. There isn't
>         much documentation but I do intend to update the manpages soon.
>         Please indicate if there is any other command that you need.

I think this is enough for me.

 Regards,
Alexandre