SNMP High Capacity Counters

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Sat Oct 18 09:51:40 UTC 2008

Hi!

I've just found that ports/net-snmp (version 5.4) built
WITH_MFD_REWRITES=yes supports IF-MIB, and in theory should show 64-bit
ifHC* counters but it does not.

It seems agent/mibgroup/if-mib/data_access/interface_sysctl.c that obtains
interface statistics from the kernel.
The function netsnmp_arch_interface_container_load() has the following code:

        /* get counters */
        entry->stats.ibytes.low = ifp->ifm_data.ifi_ibytes;
        entry->stats.ibytes.high = 0;
        entry->stats.iucast.low = ifp->ifm_data.ifi_ipackets;
        entry->stats.iucast.high = 0;
        entry->stats.imcast.low = ifp->ifm_data.ifi_imcasts;
        entry->stats.imcast.high = 0;

So, it always produce 32-bit quantities. My question is:
does FreeBSD/i386 kernel maintain 64-bit counters for interface statictics
these days? If yes, since what version?

Eugene Grosbein