FreeBSD Window updates

Venkat Venkatsubra venkatvenkatsubra at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 07:59:55 PST 2008

Looking at some very old versions (4.3 BSD Reno for instance),
the regular acks used to be sent only through these window updates.
i.e. acks were sent only when the apps read the data. Acks are piggybacked
with window updates. Or, delayed till the delayed ack timer expires if the apps
is not reading. This would have had other issues with congestion control due to generating
too few acks. When this was changed to send acks independent of apps reading the data,
we now have lot more acks due to these window updates in addition to the regular acks.

Venkat