IFCAP_LRO on FreeBSD 7

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 27 04:51:29 PST 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Yony Yossef wrote:

> Is there a native interface for LRO in FreeBSD 7? I can't find any use for
> IFCAP_LRO but notifying the driver if to use or not to use this offload.
>
> If not, is it planned for FreeBSD 8?

IFCAP_LRO is a capability/policy flag allowing drivers to declare support for
LRO, and for administrators to enable/disable it if present.  Drivers can
either provide their own implementation (mxge, nxge) or use the system
implementation (cxgb, igb).  I'm slightly surprised to see that igb references
tcp_lro_init() but not IFCAP_LRO -- perhaps lro isn't yet fully hooked up, or
perhaps there's a bug?  I believe all of the above applies to 7.1 but not 7.0,
except possibly mxge supporting LRO in 7.0.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge