tokenring users?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Nov 19 11:13:55 PST 2008

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 10:09:20 Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
> > One of the things that are making things hard for network testing is the
> > question
> > "what to do about tokenring support?"
> >
> > We seem to have a dearth of tokenring users so we are completely unable
> > test how changes affect tokenring.
> >
> > If anyone here knows anyone whoul could:
> > 1/ help support tokenring
> > 2/ help test tokenring,
> >
> > could they get in touch?
>
> I guess Token Ring is as dead as it gets.  The last I time ran across
> someone using it was in 1996 or 1997.  I asked our engineers here (on
> a customer base of about 1k SME) and got only blank stares.

From the experience of replacing ~200 IBM token-ring terminals with ethernet
PCs & terminal emulators in a hospital back in 2001 ... yeah, it's dead.  Back
then the rational was that it was already cheaper to buy a PC, ethernet card
and do the wiring than it was to get a replacement for a broken token ring
card - let alone the hub that decided to die in the midst of the end-of-year
tax report season.

While TR was nice back in the days of 10Mbit ethernet hub days, there is no
longer a market for it, except for the aforementioned IBM terminal - where
FreeBSD really doesn't play.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org