bce discard frame w/o leading ethernet header and polling (broken?) 7.1-beta2

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 18 10:44:29 PST 2008

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 01:01 pm, security wrote:
> I'm building a WAN emulation box based on 7.1-beta2-ipfw and
> dummynet. The config is basically a router-on-a-stick.  The server
> (FBSD rtr) has two nics which connect to two different switches,
> but both switch ports are in the same untagged interconnected vlan.
>  All the other test boxes in the network are also in the same vlan,
> but broken into different nets.  The different nets are spread
> across the two nics as primary and alias ip address in different
> nets.  I've been getting "bursts" (maybe 8-20 at a time) of the
> discard frame messages.  Mostly on bce1 but I've seen them on bce0
> also. bce1 is probably the busier of the 2 currently. As a shot in
> the dark, I disabled polling system wide and the messages seemed to
> have stopped.

Please try the latest driver from RELENG_7.  The following commit
seems interesting:

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=184826

Jung-uk Kim