HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled (was: 8.0
network stack MPsafety goals (fwd))
ed at 80386.nl
Mon May 26 16:17:11 UTC 2008
* Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> If the new tty code maintains support for line disciplines, updating
> the existing SLIP code and adding locking code would probably be an
> equally sized (or shorter) task.
The new TTY layer should still support line disciplines, unfortunately I
haven't implemented the line discipline switching (TIOCSETD) yet.
I would really prefer to have this in userspace. There are several
advantages of implementing this in userspace:
- We don't have to port things twice (make it MPSAFE first and port it
to the new TTY layer later, or the other way around).
- It is less likely to break. The entire userspace TTY and Tun/Tap
userspace programming interfaces are more likely to be stable than the
- It will be easier to port to other operating systems.
- Implementing this in userspace could make it easier to configure and
Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 195 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/attachments/20080526/21a8c39b/attachment.pgp
More information about the freebsd-net