Intel embedded NICs not working with FreeBSD 6.2, 6.3 and 7.0

Fuchs, Martin martin.fuchs at trendchiller.com
Sun May 25 10:38:00 UTC 2008

Hi !

I am in contact with Chris Buechler because of pfSense and we he told me
to contact Jack Vogel because of some Intel NIC driver problem.

FreeBSD detects them as fxp cards which is correct, but they do not work
at all, i tried in ACPI and non-ACPI mode and with enabled ROM and
disabled ROM and everything, but I cannot get them working...

I always get "fxp0 timeout" or fxpX fort he corresponding card... I read
it might have something to do with dynamic powersaving mode or else but
have no clue how to deactivate, there's no option in the ROM for this.

It's an appliance board (NexCom EBC575) with Intel 845GV / Intel 82801DB
(ICH4)-chipset and 2 x Intel 82551QM (PRO/100 Network Connection), 1 x
ICH4 integrated LAN Int on board.

I have attached the whitepaper with the specifications oft he board.

Is there anything I can tot o make it work for now or is it a known
problem or else ?

Regards,

looking forward to hear from you,

Martin