HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled (was: 8.0 network stack MPsafety goals (fwd))

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 24 15:56:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, 24 May 2008, Coleman Kane wrote:

> I've created a quick table of these at the following location:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NetworkNeedsGiant
>
> Please everyone feel free to fill in the blanks. I'll try to do it as well
> as time permits.

FWIW, I suspect fixing things like SLIP and kernel PPP are fairly trivial once
tty locking is in place -- a per-softc mutex and a bit of locking in the
obvious spots would likely do it without too much trouble.  In some paths, it
might be necessary to inject data via the netisr, if that's not already being
done (probably is) to avoid input/output lock order issues.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge