connect(): Operation not permitted

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.se
Sat May 17 14:48:56 UTC 2008

Hello

I got a FreeBSD 7 machine running mail services (among other things).
This machine recently replaced a FreeBSD 6.2 machine doing the same
tasks.
Now and then I need to send alot of mail to customers (mailing list),
and one thing i've noticed now after the change is that when I use a
lot of connections subsequently (high connection rate, even if they
are very shortlived) inside a jail (dunno if that has anything to do
with it though), I start to get Operation not permitted in return to
connect().
I've seen this in the PHP app that sends mail, when it tried to
connect to localhost, as well as from postfix when it have been trying
to connect to amavisd on localhost, but also from postfix when it has
tried to connect to remote SMTP servers.

I do have PF for filtering, but there are no max-src-conn-rate limits
enabled for any rules that is used for this. However, from one of the
jail I do have a hfsc queue limiting the outgoing mail traffic from
one jailed IP. But I'm not sure that this would be the problem, since
I've also seen the problem when doing localhost connects in the jail,
and also in other jails on an entierly different IP that is not
affected.

Does anyone have any clues about what I can look at and tune to fix
this?

Thanks!

--
Johan Ström