FreeBSD 4.9 - NIS Authentication Problem (SSHD Illegal User ERROR)

David Kramer dkramer at coverity.com
Mon May 12 09:01:02 UTC 2008

**IF this is the wrong list for this topic please let me know which list
I should post network services issues to.

I am relatively new to FreeBSD but have quite a bit of experience with
NIS on Linux.  I am currently working on connecting a FreeBSD 4.9 client
connection to NIS server running on OpenBSD 3.9.  The ypcat commands are
working and I can see the passwd and group files, however when I attempt
to login to the machine I keep getting SSHD Illegal User Errors.  The
type of behavior I am seeing would be common on a Linux machine that
uses nssswitch.conf to state which objects to pass authentication
through, but its missing the nis value for passwd: or group:.  Looking
through the FreeBSD website I see that nssswitch was introduced in
FreeBSD 5.X.  For previous versions of FreeBSD and NIS, are there any
additional configurations that need to be done?  Possibly with PAM?  I
have the following values in my /etc/rc.conf files:

nisdomainname="myNISdomain"
nis_client_enable="YES"

I have followed the FreeBSD NIS/YP Handbook configuration to the T, and
still get the illegal user authentication any insight would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks much,

DK

--