read() returns ETIMEDOUT on steady TCP connection

Mark Hills mark at pogo.org.uk
Thu May 8 09:17:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Andre Oppermann wrote:

> Deng XueFeng wrote:
>> hi,
>> the patch can not apply to 6.2, cound do a new patch for 6.2 or 6.3 ?
>
> The logging function is not (yet) present in RELENG_6.  I'll post the
> patch when I've backported the functionality.
>
> However it's an important information that it happens on 6.2 too.  That
> means the source of the trouble wasn't introduced with 7.0.

I did earlier tests with the same software on FreeBSD 6.3 and never saw
ETIMEDOUT -- only on FreeBSD 7.0.

But I did have a different issue with 6.3 (lockups under very heavy
conditions), although didn't do any specific tuning to try and stop this.
Instead I made the jump to 7.0 which stopped this problem but introduced
the ETIMEDOUT one.

Mark