multiple routing tables review patch ready for simple testing.

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Wed May 7 08:05:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Julian Elischer wrote:

Hi,

> Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> The patch can be found at
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/mrt.diff
>>> (or http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/mrt6.diff for RELENG_6)
>>>
>>> or source can be taken from perforce at:
>>> //depot/user/julian/routing/src
>>
>> So after looking at the patch a bit more again, could you add wrapper
>> functions for those like you have done for the old KPI (rtrequest,
>> rtrequest1,
>
> do you really want to do the extra work instructions?

>> The defines will not give you a stable KPI and having that changed again
>> if you are going with a prefix for each AF would be a pain if the _fib
>> versions
>> are going to change in the future.
>
> hmm fair enough... but let me outline my plans and thoughts
> so we can see if you still want this..

[ ... ]

> This all however is not ABI compatible so could not go back to 7.x
> and I want to check in an initial version that can go back to 7.x
> which sort of suggests to me that adding in_xxx functions is
> not really required, until I do the next step.
> 7.x will never get the next step. because the ABI is already set
> in stone for 7.x.
>
> I would make the in_xxx stubs in the next step in 8.x.
> after the MFC to 7.x of the ABI compat version.
>

> let me know what you think.

Leaving aside any upcoming enhancement if what we have now is
what is going into 7 and possibly 6 we should do the wrapper
functions.

The point is RELENG_7 will live for $(last release + 2 years) so I
guess till 2011 or maybe later. No idea what would happen there in all
that time.

If people start adding support for other AFs we cannot say that the
*_fib variants are not going to change so having the in_* stable
sounds like a good thing for 6 and 7.

Am I missing anything obvious?

I don't mind if they are going to significantly change again in 8
a few weeks later.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb              Stop bit received. Insert coin for new game.