Trying to find source of collisions

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Mon May 5 15:14:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 03:49:38PM +0400 I heard the voice of
Igor Zinovik, and lo! it spake thus:

> Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
> ed0    1500 <Link#1>      00:80:48:c6:a1:82 35885806     4 23583716     0
> 134590 ...
>
> So i have three questions:
> 1. What can cause such big collisions number?  Bad UTP cable?  Bad
> NIC?  Misbeheaving switch?

That's not a particularly big number; it's half a percent of your
output packets.  That probably doesn't have a measurable effect on
your throughput or latency.

Now, that said, if you have a switch, you probably SHOULD be running
full-duplex, in which case you won't have collisions.  But you've got
an ed card; some of those may be old enough to not handle FDX.

> 2. Ierr -- seems that some input errors.  What are these errors and
> what can cause them?

Cable troubles, NIC troubles, etc.  [Un]plugging the cable can cause
it.  Some forms of on-wire data corruption could cause it.  You've got
4 of them, over 36 million input packets.  Don't worry about it.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net