Samba PDC with VPN access

Sin sinister at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:25:56 PDT 2008

Well,  Looks like I did get it connected.  But its very broken.  I'm trying to make it connect from Windows XP VPN client and the client talks to the server, but nothing comes of it.  ( You can see all the chatter in ppp.log )   However, if I tell my other FreeBSD machine to connect to the pptp server, it connects and a TCP link is created under the settings I specified.    Here's some usefull info:

server:

7.0-RELEASE

PPP Version 3.4.2

server IP:  10.0.0.2

/etc/inetd.conf

pptp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ppp ppp -direct ppp-in

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf:

ppp-in:
 set log All
 set timeout 0
 set ifaddr 10.0.4.1 10.0.4.2
 disable chap
 enable pap
 enable passwdauth

/etc/ppp/ppp.secret

sin sinspassword

/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup

pptp:
 add 10.0.1.0/24 HISADDR

Client machine (1):

6.3-RELEASE

PPP Version 3.4.2

Client IP: 10.0.0.1

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf

vpn:
 set device 10.0.0.2:1723/tcp
 set authname sin
 set authkey sinspassword

and then I make the connection by using ppp interactly for testing.  "dial vpn " gets you the three capitals P's, then a simple ping test proves the link.

PPP ON router> show iface
tun1 (idx 9) <UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 has 1 address:
  inet 10.0.4.2 --> 10.0.4.1 netmask 0xffffffff

Client machine (2)

Windows XP sp3

Error 800 Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be unreachable, or security parameters may not be coinfigured properly for this connection.

- You can see the ppp.log file fill up while the XP machine tries to connect.   Something is missing here and I think i've been staring at this ppp man page way to long because i'm starting to think that this pptp server is not the same thing as the XP pptp server/client connection.

  You migth be right about trying (again) with ppp. I just didn't make it work in the first place. So I would surely like to hear if it is something you can do. And if so, I would like to have a look at your conf files.

  Best regards,
  Jon