"established" on { tcp or udp } rules

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Thu Mar 20 02:03:55 PDT 2008

Hi Freddie Cash!

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:55:53 -0700; Freddie Cash wrote about 'Re: "established" on { tcp or udp } rules':

> ipfw add allow { tcp or udp } from me     to any 53 out xmit fxp0

> ipfw add allow { tcp or udp } from any 53 to me     in  recv fxp0
> established

>>   as for the question of whether UDP ... established evaluates to true
>> or false, I would guess false but you'll have to test.

> See my follow-up e-mail.  It appears that UDP packets don't match due to
> the established keyword.

> It appears that:
> ipfw add allow tcp from any to me in recv fxp0 established

> and

> ipfw add allow { tcp or udp } from any to me in recv fxp0 established

> are functionally the same.  Perhaps a warning should be emitted when one
> tries to add the rule?

> Hrm, it seems something is different with ipfw on 6.3.  One can add:

> ipfw add allow udp from any to any established

> without any errors or warnings, but it will never match any packets.  I'm
> sure back in the 4.x days when I started using ipfw that it would error
> out with something along the lines of "TCP options can't be used with UDP
> rules".

This is behaviour of ipfw2 - options are independently ANDed. Thus, man page
explicitly says:

     established
             Matches TCP packets that have the RST or ACK bits set.

So, it is obvious that udp packet will not match and thus entire rule will not
match.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]