FBSD 1GBit router?

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon Mar 3 12:58:48 UTC 2008

Łukasz Bromirski wrote:
>> My experience is that Multicast in nice in theory and experiment, but
>> when
>> push comes to shove it does not completely deliver.
>
> I don't know exact requirements and application used, but given IP TV
> deployments relying heavily on multicast, and all other "VoD"
> technologies also using multicast...I find Your comments disturbing :)

Where do you think I'm getting my experience from. ;)
Even network owners and techies will admit to this when squeezed.

> However, if you don't control the network over which it will be
> transported, you need to replicate each stream...and so either
> you'll find bandwidth to do it (or pay for it) or be forced to switch
> to other design.

There can only be one......
And IP TV over closed networks are not going to make it.
That is not what the customer really wants.

But this is my last remark to this aspect in this list,
since it takes us very OT.

--WjW