FBSD 1GBit router?

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon Mar 3 12:38:58 UTC 2008

Łukasz Bromirski wrote:
> Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a stream exploder.:)
>> 1 2Mbit stream in, and as many as possible out.
>> And 7*1Gb = 14Gbit, so I'd like to be pushing 7000 streams.
>> (One advantage is that they will be UDP streams, so there is
>> a little less bookkeeping in the protocol stack )
>
> Wouldn't it be a case for use of multicast vs unicast? Hardware
> is always better anyway, so why not invest in some switch that
> can do unicast/multicast in hardware?

Usefull suggestion, only this is going to be in an overlay cloud where
we do not have control over all the endpoint networks. let alone that we
can get them to use multicast. And even those that use multicast in their
last-mule equipment, don't always have correct setups.

My experience is that Multicast in nice in theory and experiment, but when
push comes to shove it does not completely deliver.

--WjW