Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Paul paul at gtcomm.net
Mon Jun 30 02:48:18 UTC 2008

The higher I set the buffer the worse it is.. 256 and 512 I get about
50-60k more pps than i do with 2048 or 4096.. You
would think it would be the other way around but obviously there is some
contention going on. :/
I'm sticking with 512 for now, as it seems to make it worse with
anything higher.
Keep in mind, i'm using random source ips, random source and destination
ports.. Although that should have zero impact on the amount of PPS it
can route but for some reason it seems to.. ? Any ideas on that one?   A
single stream one source ip/port to one destination ip/port seems to use
less cpu, although I haven't generated the same pps with that yet.. I am
going to test it soon