Route messages

mike at sentex.net mike at sentex.net
Sat Jun 28 03:05:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:16:17 +0100, in sentex.lists.freebsd.net you
wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> Get these with GRE tunnel on
>> FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #5: Sun May 11 19:00:57 EDT
>> 2008     :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ROUTER  amd64
>> But do not get them with 7.0-RELEASE
>>
>> Any ideas what changed? :)  Wish there was some sort of changelog..
>> # of messages per second seems consistent with packets per second on
>> GRE interface..
>> No impact in routing, but definitely impact in cpu usage for all
>> processes monitoring the route messages.
>
>RTM_MISS is actually fairly common when you don't have a default route.

Hi,
	I am seeing this issue as well on a pair of  recently deployed
boxes, one  running MPD and one acting as an area router in front of
it. The MPD box has a default route and only has 400 routes or so.

A steady stream of those messages, upwards of 500 per second.

got message of size 96 on Fri Jun 27 22:25:42 2008
RTM_MISS: Lookup failed on this address: len 96, pid: 0, seq 0, errno
0, flags:<DONE>
locks:  inits:
sockaddrs: <DST>
 default

got message of size 96 on Fri Jun 27 22:25:42 2008
RTM_MISS: Lookup failed on this address: len 96, pid: 0, seq 0, errno
0, flags:<DONE>
locks:  inits:
sockaddrs: <DST>
 default

Is there a way to try and track down what is generating those messages
? Its eating up a fair bit of cpu with quagga (the zebra process
specifically)

	---Mike