SOLVED (was Re: Problem clarification (was: Problems with vlan + carp + alias))

Giulio Ferro auryn at zirakzigil.org
Fri Jun 27 21:00:03 UTC 2008

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2008-Jun-26 22:06:11 +0200, Giulio Ferro <auryn at zirakzigil.org> wrote:
>
>> I guess what I could do was to "poison" their arp cache for each
>> address with a "is-at" message. Is there a way to force the sending
>> of these messages for all the addresses of an interface?
>>

> The kernel should send out gratuitous ARP requests whenever you assign
> an address to an interface.  You could confirm that this is happening
> by tcpdumping the interface whilst you add aliases.
>
> Rummaging around in ports, you might find net/arping or net/p5-Net-ARP
> useful if you want to manually generate gratuitous ARP requests.

I have bad news for you all: this doesn't seem to happen for alias
interfaces.
I've just tried to replicate what happened days ago. I've verified that
only the
base (non alias) interface sends proper is-at messages. The aliases
don't....

I could't either ping from one of those addresses or ping to one of them
until
I isssued:
arping -S aliased-address router-address

The router didn't know the mac addresses had changed until then...

Can anyone confirm this?