FreeBSD NAT-T patch integration

George V. Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Fri Jun 27 15:06:57 UTC 2008

At Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:56:41 -0700,
julian wrote:

> I'm planning on committing it unless someone can provide a reason not
> to, as I've seen it working, needed it, and have not seen any bad
> byproducts.

I'd be interested to know how you tested it.  NAT-T and IPsec are
non-trivial protocols/subsystems that can have far reaching impacts on
the network stack.  Also, are you planning to maintain it after
committing it?  The biggest problem with NAT-T hasn't been the code,
it's been that the author, who is doing a great job on the code, has
been too busy to maintain it anywhere but at work.  That is not a slam
on the person or the code, I have the highest respect for both, but it
reflects and important reality of the situation.  Unless you're
stepping up to maintain it as well as commit it I think it should not
be committed.  I know the Bjoern has been working hard to pick up the
IPsec stuff in his free time, and I value his input on this subject
quite a bit.

Best,
George