ath hostap: antenna diversity or not?

Petar Bogdanovic petar at smokva.net
Thu Jun 26 15:13:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

in order to compare the performance between antenna-diversity on and off
I did a quick test with the following sysctl settings:

	# antenna-diversity on
	dev.ath.0.diversity=1

	# antenna-diversity off
	dev.ath.0.diversity=0
	dev.ath.0.txantenna=1
	dev.ath.0.rxantenna=2

The performance was pretty much the same but I noticed that the
link-quality reported by my laptop was notable lower with enabled
antenna-diversity (AD):

	~ 43/70 (AD on)
	~ 51/70 (AD off)

I've read a few things about AD on Wikipedia and it seems to be a good
technique to achieve a better signal quality but OTOH there are people
who recommend turning it off to get a better signal quality.

So whats actually true here?

Thanks,

Petar