Network Instability when upgrading to 4GB of RAM

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 18:59:30 UTC 2008

Paul Haddad wrote:

> All,
> As a follow up to myself I installed an Intel PCIe NIC and disabled the on
> board RTL based one and all my problems went away.  Been running with 4GB
> installed for a couple days now with absolutely no network issues. So
> seems
> like there's some problem with RTL NICs and >= 4GB of RAM.
> --
> Paul Haddad (paul.haddad at gmail.com paul at pth.com)

I have the EXACT same issues.  I'm sorry for arriving late to this thread
but I was searching around and my onboard, re0, chip=0x816810ec, rev=0x01,
gets Bad Packet Length on some ssh connections I have.  Basically I notice
this under some load (like while doing a portupgrade).

I doubt its the memory, the notebook is brand spank'n new (I don't think its
ECC RAM but it could be).  Based on this post it seems that there maybe a
bug in the RTL driver on 64-bit platforms?  Anyone else see this?  I may go
try to track this down myself.

Thanks!

-aps