Throughput rate testing configurations

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jun 11 02:51:11 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I see what I believe to be less-than-adequate communication performance
between many devices in parts of our network.

Can someone recommend software (and config recommendations if possible)
that I can implement to test both throughput and pps reliably,
initially/primarily in a simple host-sw-host configuration?

Perhaps I'm asking too much, but I'd like to have something that can
push the link to it's absolute maximum capacity (for now, up to 1Gbps)
for a long sustained time, that I can just walk away from and let it do
it's work, and review the reports later where it had to scale down due
to errors.

What I'm really trying to achieve is:

- test the link between hosts alone
- throw in a switch
- test the link while r/w to disk
- test the link while r/w to GELI disk
- test the link with oddball MTU sizes

...and see what impact occurs in each scenario, to be able to tell where
things can be improved.

All machines that will be part of this test will be either 6.3 or 7.

Steve