[Removal of mrouted in FreeBSD-7.0]

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 10 12:47:41 UTC 2008

Archimedes S. Gaviola wrote:
> ...if ever there's a way to implement IP multicasting with PIM-SM and
> or PIM-DM in the FreeBSD base system, how big is the work would be?
> What are the things that needs to be considered if we are going to
> implement PIM-SM and or PIM-DM to the current FreeBSD network
> subsystem? The goal is to be able FreeBSD to provide native IP
> multicast using PIM just like the way DVMRP protocol is implemented
> before as part of the base system.

I really think the remit of multicast routing is too wide to be
addressed in the base system, which is why projects like XORP and pimdd
exist -- it doesn't strike me as a good fit for the FreeBSD base system.
Separate projects already exist for this.

If someone is willing to commit to all the man-hours involved in the
reimplementation and ongoing support of such a thing, blimey... they
must have a lot of free time!

cheers
BMS