Major Atheros issues with Ubiquiti SR9/XR9

Geoffrey Mainland mainland at eecs.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 6 20:18:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm running 7-CURRENT on several ALIX 3c2 boards with SR9 radios and
having major performance problems: throughput on TCP streams generated
by iperf often falls to zero, and, depending on the HAL I use, I see
ping latencies during one of these iperf transfers of up to more than a
*minute*. I've tried both the 0.9.30.13 HAL and the new 0.10.5.6 HAL. I
see this bad behavior with both, but the new HAL seems even worse.

I've documented my configuration and the test results at
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mainland/freebsd/sr9/. This includes the
kernel configuration, dmesg output, pciconf output, rc.conf, athstats
output, appropriate sysctl values, iperf/ping output generated by my
driver script and some plots showing the problem.

We are trying to deploy a bunch of these nodes outdoors, using the
900MHz radios as a backhaul, so the drop-outs I see with SR9s are a
major problem for us. I've also run the same tests on Soekris nodes,
used different SR9s, and also tried the new XR9s on the same ALIX
boards---all with similar results. We also have a bunch of Wistrom CM9s
which seem to work just fine.

Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks!
Geoff