[GSoC - tcptest] - Regression Tests, Conformance Tests...

Victor Hugo Bilouro bilouro at bilouro.com
Tue Jun 3 03:52:55 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm in architectural phase of tcptest* development, so, I need
understand every possible test it will need cover, because it would
change tcptest architecture.

I selected some tests:
*connection establishment and finalization (a)
*test cases where reset must be sent
*tcp options establishment
*tcp options conformance
*tcp timmers
*regression tests
*basic: ping localhost
*basic: checksum test

I invite you to suggest some tests. :)
(may be some remembered bug)

(a)this test is done. It was the first test done, and as result, we
notice different behaviors in windows, linux and freebsd network
stack.

Another important thing to know is: suppose you are planning to use
this tool, how you intend to use? In which environment? What purpose?

What do you initially prefer? (a)write tests programaticaly or
(b)write tests ipfw-like oriented?

Thank you!

--
Victor Hugo Bilouro
FreeBSD!

tcptest** --> http://wiki.freebsd.org/VictorBilouro/TCP-IP_regression_test_suite
tcptest is a GSoC (Google Summer of Code) project,
it's a TCP/IP Regression Test Suite implementation.
As a testing tool, it can perform regression, protocol conformance,
and fuzz tests. The tool may also be employed as an aid to protocol
developers and both testing and debugging of firewalls/routers.
It's was built on top of pcs.sf.net of gnn at freebsd.

ps: I will keep the nomenclature used at subject.