Application layer classifier for ipfw

Mike Makonnen mtm at wubethiopia.com
Thu Jul 31 09:56:33 UTC 2008

Hi,

An Internet Cafe I do some work for was recently having problems with
very slow internet access. It turns out customers were running P2P file
sharing applications which were hogging all the bandwidth. I looked for
  programs that would allow me to shape traffic according to the
application layer protocol, but couldn't find any for FreeBSD. I found a
couple: l7-filter and ipp2p, but these are Linux specific. So, I decided
to write one. The result is ipfw-classifyd :
http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/ipfw-classifyd.tar.bz2

As the name implies it uses ipfw(4) to implement a userland daemon that
classifies TCP and UDP packets according to regular expression patterns
for various protocols. It's intended to be used with divert(4) sockets
and dummynet(4) so you can do traffic shaping depending on the
application level protocol. The protocol patterns are from the l7-filter
project.

Basically, you use ipfw(8) to divert tcp/udp packets to the damon. It
reads its configuration file for a list of protocols and ipfw(8) rules.
Then, when it detects a matching session it re-injects the packet back
at the specified rule number. The tarball has a sample configuration
file and firewall script to get you started.

While I have not done extensive testing, preliminary tests are
encouraging and it seems to work, so I thought I'd announce it to the
rest of the world in case anyone else is interested in this kind of
application.

Comments and suggestions highly appreciated.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen       | GPG-KEY: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm @ FreeBSD.Org   | AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55