[Regarding Packet Error]

Archimedes Gaviola a_gaviola at yahoo.com.ph
Fri Jul 11 08:04:07 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 7/11/08, Artis Caune <artis.caune at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Artis Caune <artis.caune at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Regarding Packet Error]
> To: a_gaviola at yahoo.com.ph
> Cc: freebsd-net at freebsd.org
> Date: Friday, 11 July, 2008, 1:07 PM
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Archimedes Gaviola
> <a_gaviola at yahoo.com.ph> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running a FreeBSD-6.2 RELEASE system on an
> Intel Gigabit copper NIC
> > but when it receive packets, I encounter some errors
> with netstat. Below is
> > the netstat dump of my system. As what you can see,
> there is no dropping of
> > packets received but only errors at the input level of
> the interface. Does
> > anyone have any idea of what's going on at the
> entry of the packets? What
> > could be the possible causes of packet errors? Or what
> network data has
> > been collected in the netstat when it displays error?
> Can someone
> > explained how FreeBSD process packets when it enters
> the network system
> > in the kernel? This is to know how my system behaves
> before doing any step
> > for troubleshooting.
>
> have you enabled polling on interface? try to disable if
> yes.

[Archimedes] No, device polling is not enabled to my system.

[Archimedes] This is an Intel PCI-X copper NIC http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/data_sheets/pro1000mt_sa.pdf

> try to set the following variables in /boot/loader.conf and
> reboot:
> hw.em.rxd=4096
> hw.em.txd=4096

[Archimedes] Yes, I need to try these options also.

Thanks,
Archimedes

      Yahoo! Toolbar is now powered with Search Assist.Download it now!
http://ph.toolbar.yahoo.com/