Tunneling issues

zaphod at fsklaw.com zaphod at fsklaw.com
Wed Jul 9 18:04:57 UTC 2008

> zaphod at fsklaw.com wrote:

>>> Can you post some of the configs you are using for 3 of the sites so
>>> we can perhaps spot the problem(s) you are having ? I have a similar
>>> setup with 5 sites, all talking to each other via IPSEC tunnels. Its
>>> a lot of policies, but they work just fine.

>>> We have ~ 400 sites running OpenVPN across Canada that all reconnect
>>> just fine after reboots / power cycles etc.  We dont let the clients
>>> talk to each other, but that would just be a config change to allow
>>> that to work.
>>>
>>>          ---Mike
>>>
>> Last first.  Well that's good info on OpenVPN.
>>
>> As to the first, I'm not even at the ipsec stage yet.  I'm just trying
>> get tunnels up.  I wrote a couple of shell scripts to bring them up for
>> testing.
>>
>> Server1
>>
>> orange# more mkgif
>> #/bin/sh
>> ifconfig gif1 create
>> ifconfig gif1 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2
>
> ^^^^  what's that for?

Well added that as I was googling the problem someone had said to do it so
I tried it.  Wasn't there initially.  Doesn't work with or without.

> since you over-ride it in the next line vvvvv
>

>> ifconfig gif1 inet 192.168.72.1 192.168.70.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> (PTP links don't have netmasks)

snip:

Got it from the manual
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ipsec.html>

# ifconfig gif0 create
# ifconfig gif0 tunnel A.B.C.D W.X.Y.Z
# ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffffff

I'll try it without.

Cheers,

Zaphod