6.3-p2 gre

Stephen Clark sclark46 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 14:33:52 UTC 2008

Hello List,

I am running ospf over a gre/vpn tunnel. When I run tcpdump on the gre interface
ospf stops working.

I see the following errors in the ospfd log.
2008/07/09 10:05:02 OSPF: *** sendmsg in ospf_write failed to 224.0.0.5, id 0,
off 0, len 68, interface gre1, mtu 1412: Network is down
2008/07/09 10:05:12 OSPF: *** sendmsg in ospf_write failed to 224.0.0.5, id 0,
off 0, len 68, interface gre1, mtu 1412: Network is down

if I then do ifconfig gre1 down;ifconfig gre1 up
ospf start workding again.

this does not happen on freebsd 4.x

Also if I use the -p flag when running tcpdump things seem to be OK and ospf
continues to work normally.

Why would putting the gre interface in promiscuous mode cause this problem?

Steve
--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)