Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Paul paul at gtcomm.net
Mon Jul 7 18:43:00 UTC 2008

> one that will later on handle the taskqueue to process the packets.
> That adds overhead.  Ideally the interrupt for each network interface
> is bound to exactly one pre-determined CPU and the taskqueue is bound
> to the same CPU.  That way the overhead for interrupt and taskqueue
> scheduling can be kept at a minimum.  Most of the infrastructure to
> do this binding already exists in the kernel but is not yet exposed
> to the outside for us to make use of it.  I'm also not sure if the
> ULE scheduler skips the more global locks when interrupt and the
> thread are on the same CPU.
>
> Distributing the interrupts and taskqueues among the available CPUs
> gives concurrent forwarding with bi- or multi-directional traffic.
> All incoming traffic from any particular interface is still serialized
> though.

I used etherchannel to distribute incoming packets over 3 separate cpus
evenly
but the output was on one interface..  What I got was less performance
than with one cpu
and all three cpus were close to 100% utilizied.  em0,em1,em2 were all
receiving packets
and sending them out em3.   The machine had 4 cpus in it.  em3 taskq was
low cpu usage and
em0,1,2 were using cpu0,1,2(for example) almost fully used.   With all
that cpu power being used
and I got less performance than with 1 cpu :/ Obviously in SMP there is
a big issue somewhere.

Also my 82571 NIC supports multiple received queues and multiple
transmit queues so why hasn't
anyone written the driver to support this?  It's not a 10gb card and it
still supports it and it's widely
available and not too expensive either.   The new 82575/6 chips support
even more queues and the
two port version will be out this month and the 4 port in october (PCI-E
cards).  Motherboards are
already shipping with the 82576..   (82571 supports 2x/2x  575/6 support
4x/4x)

Paul