Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 7 08:54:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Andre Oppermann wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
>> Experience suggests that forwarding workloads see significant lock
>> contention in the routing and transmit queue code.  The former needs some
>> kernel hacking to address in order to improve parallelism for routing
>> lookups.  The latter is harder to address given the hardware you're using:
>> modern 10gbps cards frequently offer multiple transmit queues that can be
>> used independently (which our cxgb driver supports), but 1gbps cards
>> generally don't.
>
> Actually the routing code is not contended.  The workload in router is
> mostly serialized without much opportunity for contention.  With many
> interfaces and any-to-any traffic patterns it may get some contention.  The
> locking overhead per packet is always there and has some impact though.

Yes, I don't see any real sources of contention until we reach the output
code, which will run in the input if_em taskqueue threads, as the input path
generates little or no contention of the packets are not destined for local
delivery.  I was a little concerned about mention of degrading performance as
firewall complexity grows -- I suspect there's a nice project for someone to
do looking at why this is the case.  I was under the impression that, in 7.x
and later, we use rwlocks to protect firewall state, and that unless stateful
firewall rules are used, these are locked read-only rather than writable...

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge