Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 09:10:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Paul <paul at gtcomm.net> wrote:
> I tried all of this :/  still, 256/512 descriptors seem to work the best.
> Happy to let you log into the machine and fiddle around if you want :)

I think you need to ktr the packet processing time.  Standard gigabit
max at ~1488095pps, which means you could be @max rate only if each
packet's processing time is <= ~672ns.  Since you are using
fastforwarding, the calculation should be quite straightforward for
you; I don't think you should expect anything beyond the calculated
result.

Best Regards,
sephe

--