Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Ingo Flaschberger if at xip.at
Thu Jul 3 10:46:04 UTC 2008

Dear Stefan,

>>> So my maximum without polling is close to 800kpps but if I push that it
>>> starts locking me from doing things, or
>>
>> how many kpps do you want to achieve?
> Do not know for Paul but, I want to be able to route (and/or bridge to
> handle) 600-700mbps syn flood,
> which is something like 1500kpps in every direction. Is it unrealistic?

yes, I think so.

look at this project:
http://yuba.stanford.edu/NetFPGA/

This card(s) could do that.
Maximum count of routes seems to be limited, but with lpf it should work.
A freebsd-kernel interface is missing.

> If the code is optimized to fully utilize MP I do not see a reason why quad
> core processor should not be able to do this.
> After all single core seems to handle 500kpps, if we utilize four, eight or
> even more cores we should be able to route 1500kpps + ?

Theres a "sun" used at quagga dev as bgp-route-server.
http://quagga.net/route-server.php
(but they don't answered my question regarding fw-performance).

> I hope TOE once MFCed to 7-STABLE will help too?

I don't think toe will help.

Kind regards,
 	Ingo Flaschberger