Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Tue Jul 1 09:17:29 UTC 2008

Greetings Paul,

> ------OK I'm stumped now.. Rebuilt with preemption and ULE and
> preemption again and it's not doing what it did before..
I saw this in my configuration too :) Just leave your test running for
longer time and you will see this strange inconsistency in action.
In my configuration I almost always have better throughput after reboot,
which drops latter (5-10min under flood) with 50-60kpps and after
another 10-15min the number of correctly passed packet increase again.
Looks like "auto tuning" of which I'm not aware :)

> How could that be? Now about 500kpps..
>
> That kind of inconsistency almost invalidates all my testing.. why
> would it be so much different after trying a bunch of kernel options
> and rebooting a bunch of times and then going back to the original
> config doesn't get you what it did in the beginning..
>
> I'll have to dig into this further.. never seen anything like it :)
>
> Hopefully the ip_input fix will help free up a few cpu cycles.

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev
ICQ# 24134177