Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Tue Jul 1 01:07:49 UTC 2008

    0n Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 03:00:31AM +0200, Ingo Flaschberger wrote:

    >Dear Alex,
    >
    >>    >OK, I setup 2 boxes on either end of a RELENG_7 box from about May
    >>    >7th just now, to see with 2 boxes blasting across it how it would
    >>    >work.  *However*, this is with no firewall loaded and, I must enable
    >>    >ip fast forwarding. Without that enabled, the box just falls over.
    >>
    >> What is "ip fast forwarding" ?
    >
    >instead of copying the while ip packet into system memory, only the ip
    >header is copyied and then in a "fast" path determined if it could be fast
    >forwarded.
    >if possible, a ned header is created at the other network-cards-buffer
    >and the ip-data is copied from network-card-buffer to network-card-buffer
    >directly.

So how does one enable "ip fast forwarding" on FreeBSD ?

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.