tcp-md5 check for incomming connection

Ingo Flaschberger if at xip.at
Wed Jan 30 16:39:28 PST 2008

Dear Bjoern, Bruce,

Looking trough linux, netbsd and Bruce old patch
(which works with minimal modification at my freebsd 6.2)
I have 3 ideas how md5 could be integrated.

1) netbsd method:
 	http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/tcp_input.c?rev=1.277&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
 	Look for TCP_SIGNATURE.
 	The main-code part is handled in tcp_dooptions
 	The have modified the return value of tcp_dooptions from void to
 	int. If md5 fails, -1 is returned (ony md5 use this return
 	feature) and in the tcp_input the return value of
 	tcp_dooptions is checked and handled.
 	-> for freebsd: change the retutn value of tcp_dooptions and
 		add little logic to tcp_input function.

2) linux method:
 	Look for CONFIG_TCP_MD5SIG in linux-2.6.24/net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c
 	(sorry no weblink..)
 	They check and block md5-packets early in tcp_v4_do_rcv.
 	afinet.c -> tcp_v4_rcv -> tcp_v4_do_rcv
 	-> for Freebsd: place some logic early in tcp_input function
 		and call a new function to check md5.

3) Bruce extended method:
 	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-April/003761.html
 	Use his code and add at severall places in tcp_input function
 	similar checks.

 	*) enable disable it via sysctl
 	*) count total, good and bad packets via sysctl

Kind regards,
 	Ingo Flaschberger
 	anytwo(tm)