ath0 Ierrs

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Tue Jan 8 20:42:12 PST 2008

Randy Bush wrote:
>>> how do i debug?
>> athstats
>
> cool!
>
> # athstats -i ath0
> 21       data frames received
> 54431    data frames transmit
> 3        tx frames with an alternate rate
> 104704   long on-chip tx retries
> 22469    tx failed 'cuz too many retries
> 54M      current transmit rate
> 35362    tx management frames
> 3        tx frames discarded prior to association
> 19063    tx frames with no ack marked
> 17       tx frames with short preamble
> 52139519 rx failed 'cuz of bad CRC     -- someone else on channel?

This number is huge and indicates either noise on the channel or, more
likely, an issue in your card/antennna cabling.

> 72800113 rx failed 'cuz of PHY err     -- ??
>     23844342 OFDM timing
>     48951732 CCK timing
>     4039     CCK restart

These are likely the same issue.

> 3575252  beacons transmitted
> 12228    periodic calibrations
> 2        rfgain value change
> 20       rssi of last ack
> 9        avg recv rssi
> -96      rx noise floor
> 2        cabq frames transmitted
> 83       switched default/rx antenna
> Antenna profile:
> [1] tx    21603 rx   422493
> [2] tx    10360 rx       12
>
> i did check the other day, and ath0 was on chan 11 and nearest was 6.
> bit things go up and down a lot here in the center of tokyo.  though the
> others are all weak signals, and encrypted.
>
> next whack with clue bat, please?

I'd check physical setup and/or look for noise in your environment (is
there a disk in this machine?)  Basically isolate potential noise
sources to rule out external causes.  With zero info to go on everything
is a guess.

	Sam