Text for IPv6 Scope

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Jan 8 14:38:30 PST 2008

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Rui Paulo wrote:

> At Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:17:35 +0000,
> Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
>>
>> Crist J. Clark wrote:
>>> Anyone up for adding text to the scopeid field in the ifconfig(8)
>>> output for IPv6 addresses? Other OSes do. To avoid too much
>>> disruption to the current format, the text is appended after the
>>> currently printed hexadecimal field.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>>         options=8<VLAN_MTU>
>>>         inet6 fe80::290:27ff:fe13:2540%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5(site-local)
>>>
>>> While we're at it, update the in6.h file to include all scopes
>>> in RFC4291.
>>>
>>> Look OK? Anyone up for applying these?
>>
>> This kind of output might be cooler?
>>
>>         inet6 fe80::290:27ff:fe13:2540%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scope site
>>

> Yes, I would want something like this too, we don't really need the numbers.

I'd go with something number+space+text as that going to least likely
break existing scripts (unless they match on line end;).

Another thing I am worried about is the output getting more likely

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                 bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT
Software is harder than hardware  so better get it right the first time.